mi mundo de literatura

my world of literature...me, myself and I...

Monday, March 13, 2006

ahh..oh..oww..whatever!!!!

Similar as Educating Rita by Willy Russel, this play actually evolves around the world of an uneducated woman whom is trying to improve herself. Having read the former play, I actually do not have any major problem while dealing with this play. To me, this play is quite simple to understand and was presented in a very understandable way. Only that i had to think a bit deeper to sense the theme of this play. In my own personal view point, reading the book was more intriguing rather than watching the movie itself. Only that when i watched the play, i got to hear the real pronunciation of Eliza's favourite utterance or the so called 'sound'... ( Ahh..oohh...ah...whatever!). I was quite amazed with the way Shaw's presenting the whole story with the title Pygmalion. At first, i could not get what was the ralation of the title with its story. But after some further reading, i then see the connection or the relevance of the title. It is related to Greek Mythology whereby a sculptor is very in love with his own masterpiece and could not resist to fall in love with his art. Isn't that weird? Hmm..that is why it was called myth isn't it? I wonder what is actually the definition of a perfect woman in every man's mind. Is it all about the perfectness off the physical appearance? Doesn't her pure and sincere heart take account at all? Duh...this is world. Real world... Anyway, i do enjoy reading this famous piece by Bernard Shaw.

1 Comments:

  • At 8:44 PM, Blogger norfaizah said…

    I agree with Lien that the theme in this play is quite similar to the play "educating Rita" by Willy Russell. The difference maybe is that of the setting, where "Educating Rita" was set at the more current situation. However, I think that the theme of both plays are still reliable and relevant for people to think and ponder.
    Education is indeed very important for everybody and the issue of being educated in "Pygmalion" is well developed by Shaw.
    Well Lien, like you i also wonder what is "perfect" according to men. If only we know right?? Well, whatever it is, for me Eliza is a perfect lady with a pure nad sincere heart and she deserves to be treated as a lady.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home